Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 8: Monkey Mauling and Arak Liquor


I think that the details of my day might be a bit boring if I continue to break it down on this blog moment by moment, so switching it up. Your comments to this affect are much appreciated. So here is Day 8, alternative style.

The thing I am enjoying about Ubud is the laid back energy of the people and the pace of life. There is no rush to eat, to sleep, to do much, you just savor the moments and do what you will. It's 10 times slower than Kuta but still offers plenty of trouble to get into. It's chill.

So the morning began with some free grub from the hotel & then it was off to the Monkey Forest. They ask you to buy bananas at the entrance to help support the park ... What they don't tell ya is that once inside, the monkeys can spot those things from a mile away and will maul you to get to em. As I'm walking in, a small cuddly one wanders up and puts it's paws out ... aww ... So I throw it a banana, as to keep my distance. As I continue I notice that the forest is moving beside me in my same direction. I start throwing bananas behind me as I quicken my step, and though the monkeys snatch and eat them, they continue to multiply and eye the bunch in my hand.

 

Not 2 minutes later, while I'm quick stepping it, I run into a caravan of Chinese tourist. I thought I had accidently got in their picture, but soon realized that they, much like the forest, were surrounding me to ensure I was in their picture. Apparently I'm either photogenic or just white, thus giving them reason to want "foto peas" Before I know it, 15 Chinese woman are around me and flashes are going pop, pop, pop.  Meanwhile the monkeys are inching closer and closer probably thinking, lay off ladies, his bunch is mine. The crowd breaks and then it is small group pic time and they start to break into 2's and 3's while asking for "foto peas". I offer to take pictures of them but they say, "No, no, you in foto peas." All the while the monkeys are tightening their circle. 

Then it happens, while saying cheese for my umpteen pic, one tugs at my leg and proceeds to climb my trousers while another comes from behind and leaps on my back. I panic while having the camera on video (that clip to come soon) and throw individual bananas away from my body. While I fend them off the Chinese keep saying, "mista look here", while standing next to me. I toss the remainder of the banana bunch to the side of the path and the monkeys stop their assault. The Chinese were not so kind. Click, click, click. Some 50 odd photos later and I was empathizing with the wildlife. Here's the video of the attack ... hope this works.



And here is the video of them playing afterward, like nothing ever happened ... aw, so cute, so cuddly, so devious!



In the park, down by the. Eternal Spring, I met this Finish Traveler named Rami whose spending a month in Bali writing music an absorbing the vibe. Turns out he owns two Internet companies and has dealt with raising tons of cash and bankruptcy too. Needless to say, we bonded, grabbed lunch at a fancy place, and exchanged facebook as I do with most travelers I meet. 

Later I hit up a restaurant, can't recall the name, but was armed with pen and notepad to work on my children's books. As I sat down I could tell they were eyeing me funny. They served me my food and then brought out the chef to meet me. O which had not been customary my entire stay in Bali. He shook my hand and then both he and the waiter hovered as I ate. I thought to myself, this is strange behavior, even for Bali. I realized what happened though, they observed me with my notepad writing as well as my curious glances around the place. So I believe they thought I was writing an article about their establishment ... I could be wrong, but they definitely charged me less than my bill and about 7 people shook my hand on the way out. I should go back.

Headed to a cafe for wifi, ran into a Scotman, Ali (short for Alister), whose was planning the next leg of his adventure. So we got to chatting, and next thing you know, I'm off to Bunute restaurant having a drink with Ali, Ari the mgr, Shane the Aussie, and two American girls, Tricia & Eva. Had a blast taking down some Arak (Balinese liquor) mixed drink thingy and the night ended up with me buzzed and finding my hotel at 1:30am. If you're ever in Ubud, you have to visit Bunute and Ari, the drinks and service are the best, and please tell him I said hi!

Nite nite from the iPhone blogger.     

2 comments:

jaredstill said...

Hahaha......that was hilarious!

Loved reading through this all & catching up on your journey! Be safe, have fun!

Unknown said...

*chuckling* at the monkey attack. Oh and yes, much prefer this style of writing, good call.

Post a Comment