Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 13: Arak attack, Allison Wilkey, and Brit Carpenter

I awoke to The Arak and Ali having a brutal fight in the bathroom ... And Arak was clearly the winner. It could of also been a touch of the Bali Belly, but regardless, my ear plugs were not significant enough to protect my ears. So I packed my bags and headed for a wifi connection. While talking to the groundskeeper, Ali emerged asking for toilet roll. They did not understand so he explained, "I bend and it comes out my mouth, I stand and it comes out my bum, and it continues this way. I need paper." 

On my way I met a poor rice farmer and artist by the name od Made Sedana who lives out side of town in Bayuan. He came in for a drink with me and showed me some of his collection. After an hour or so I agreed to buy a piece, but only if I could pick it up when I return in a few months. He agrees and I get all his information. 

Not 20 minutes later a Scandinavian girl walks by the front of the cafe, stops, walks back, and stares at me. I look around becasue though I'm obviously adept to girls staring, this one felt more piercing. "Bel Air Pres" ... Uh, yeah, what's your name again. "You throw big parties, the Nogger, House of Blues, don't tell me your name." What was your again? "Allison, Deano." Wow, and what are you doing here, in Ubud? "I just finished my yoga certification at Yoga works and decided to take a trip and learn more. I was just in Cambodia, fell in live with the people, and think I might go back and serve in an orphanage there for a few months." And for the next 45 minutes we just talked about our travels and life and mutual friends and home ... It was amazing.

I finally return to Kuta, Brit Carpenter - a buddy from college and a pastor in Seminyak - met me at New Arena Hotel. I book a room for 3 nights and head off to dinner at a small warung down poppies 1. I think my whole dinner with shake included was maybe 2 bucks. 

We then head off to a traditional Balinese event he ha previously planned with his community group ... bowling. I played some of my worst bowling in years, or should I say my only bowling in years. There I met a smathering of good people, like David from Germany whose traveling for a year, Caio the Brazilian worship leader who just finished his studies in Australia, Nelly who is 5 months preggo and still bowling, Matt the Hawaiin who helps run a surf ministry, and many more. 

Afterwards it was an exciting evening of flat tires (no, not the drink, but the literal kind), my credit cards getting rejected by multiple travel sites, and American Idol in the local pub. It was a good day in Bali.

Nite nite via the iPhone blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment