Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 3: The Burn sets in.

7:30am: The Swedes, my only friends as of yet on the island, took off for Nusa Lembongan. It's an island off the south east coast of Bali maybe 30 miles, but a 6 hour trip by bus, boat, and bus again. So I'm having pancakes at the Treehouse by myself and looking for my next set of friends. So far there has just been several larger older Europeans come through, and though polite, they did not seem keen on walking the beaches or catching some surf.   I think I will walk up the beach to Legian and Seminyak and just explore. 

8:00am: Ran into a bloke from England on my way back to my room. Chris got in at 1am last night and walked through the alleys in the rain until he was duped into staying at a s-hole for 100,000Rp.  I brought him over to mine today & he took a room for much less. Tomorrow we will become roomates and pay the same but stay at a much nicer joint. Today we head off to explore the beach and the surf. 

6:00pm: Note to self, sunscreen is your friend! I'm fried and there are no aloe knock-offs, just Banana Boat at $15usd. So I'm going to us vasoline aloe lotion and hope the burn makes a quick exit. Tomorrow we will either rent mopeds and explore the southern part of the island or rent boards and surf.  Chris is here until the 14th, so I will have a mate until then, cause that's how we do in Bali ... collecting new friends, engaging in conversations about travels and God and the meaning of it all, exploring new countrysides ... and yeah, I'm speaking about the proverbial we, aka me. 

12:30am: Tried the local beer on tap ... That was a mistake. Taste like piss that was drank and then repissed. Think I will stick with the milkshakes. Accused a nice young couple from Holland of being Swedish. Apparently it was not the first time. We engaged in an hour+ long conversation about their 5 months of traveling, where to dive in SE Asia, and the political flaws of both our countries. Mike and Anik (Dutch couple) are heading to the Gili islands at 6am and there's a chance I might catch up with them over there once Chris flies back to England.   

So this is what I've learned thus far ... It's all about a journey, a process, not a result so my aim is to embrace the moments, enjoy the company, appreciate the lifestyle. Peace out from the iPhone blogger! 

No comments:

Post a Comment