Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 2: Bali Bound

So day 2 started off rather uneventful. The private room I was offered turned out to be a bunk with 10 others, almoat like camp. However, I was positioned facing the window - which would be great if it's hot and you need the airflow. Not so great when it's 50 degrees out & one of your bunk mates opens it after you fall asleep - I awoke shivering and sniffly. However, it did ensure I arose early, 4am, well before I needed to leave, and made my quiet exit from my alley hostel.  Grabbed some breakfast and a few twilight pics of the 24 hr McDonalds before I hit the bus stop just in time to catch my carriage. I was wisked back to the airport, traffic was minimal, and dropped off at Terminal 2.

Aside:  Have I mentioned the phenomenon of the scooter brigades? They are literally everywhere, thousands, whizzing around you all the time. And they leave them everwhere, literally miles and miles of scooters on every sidewalk. It's crazy, but kind of amazing! There are almost as many of them as there are 7-11's. No lie, I walked 6 blocks, 4 of the corners were 7-11 ... It's almost as bad as our starbucks epidemic of the mid-90's. Another fun fact, in the buses, when they come near to the stops, they play an all too familiar song to let passengers know they have arrived ... It's a small world... End aside.

Got dropped off at Terminal 2, apparently at the wrong China Airlines ... Which makes perfect sense, and after 2 security checkpoints, a skytrain ride, and walking completely through all 36 B gates, I found immigration and The Gate A transfer line. Lucky thing I showed up 3 hours early!

Plane ride was pleasant thanks to my good friend Ambien, arrived to a cloudy and humid Bali. Made it through Visa and customs, which was a cake walk compared to the states, and found me a Blue Taxi. 70k Rupiah, including tip, later and I arrive on Poppies 1, the alley my hotel is off of. And when I say alley, that is generous though it is one of their major streets through Kuta. I will be uploading pics so you can grasp it.

Found a sweet place for 70,000 rupiah a nite, roughly $8. It's run by Yuian and his wife, tucked behind Poppies 1 down a small alley, down a smaller alley (imagine a tiny sidewalk).
Found a great place to eat, Tree House, a recommendation from a friend. Roughy $3 for chicken breasts, veggies, blended juice and a water, can you say "right price?". Met 2 really cool Swedes (Niclas and Kim) who have been traveling for months and will be continuing that trend for at least another few - love their mentality! Will hit the hay early tonight and get ready for my first full day in Kuta!

1 comment:

Carey said...

This is really funny! Glad we can know where you are, you know me always being the mom and making sure my friends are safe and ok. :)

Post a Comment