Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 31: Kuala Lumpur

I went to sleep in the early morning, 7:30am to be exact. Texas A&M had a big game against a ranked Baylor team, which I observed on ESPN Gamecast starting at 5am. It looked bleak in the beginning and the Ags were living up to their "worst 3 point team in Big 12" reputation. At one point we were down by 12. But we scraped and clawed our way back to within 3 by half. The second half started slow as well, but with about 4 minutes to go, BJ Holmes started hitting his 3's and our free throws were spot on (84%). The end score, 78-71 Aggies ... Whoop! 

So I awoke at noon, took a shower, and packed my bags. It was nearing 1:30pm, so I grabbed Steve (England) and headed to lunch on the River Clarke Quay. We ate at an English Pub, where the waitress seemed annoyed we did not order beer, but we focused on the view and the commraderie. Somewhere between eating part of my burger and drinking the water, my stomach started to let me know I need to drop some kids off at the pool, but I figured I woul wait until I got back to the hostel. Well 2:15 rolled around quite quick, which meant i was running late, so we booked it back to the hostel. I turned in my key, picked up my luggage, took a gander at the crapper knowing i did not have time, said my farewells and headed to the MRT. It was 30 after and I was supposed to be at Harbour Centre at 2:45 for my 3pm departure. I knew the subway would only take 12 minutes, and I was fortunate enough to walk down the escalator as it was pulling up. Jumped on, jumped off and headed to the ticket machine to collect my refund for my card. After watching a number of people fumble at the machines, taking up precious minutes, I get my turn, enter my card - denied. Enter it again, denied. A MRT helper comes over and tells me the news,  my kind of refund, can only be handled by clerk, then points me to the line ... Blurgh! So I look at the time, 2:49pm, look at the line, decide to cut my losses and take off for the bus. Of course to get there I have to trek through yet another mall, the Harbour Centre Mall, bathrooms teasing me all the way. I arrive at 59 after, they load my luggage, and I quickly find my seat on the double decker as they close the doors. Whew, close call, and just as I think I should be able to use the toilet on the bus, there's a big sign saying for light use only ...

The drive was rather beautiful and surprisingly comfortable. We stopped 3 times, once for immigration out of Sinapore, then on the other side of the big bridge to get in to Malaysia, then once at a rest stop. The Singapore Immigration building was clean and technologically advanced, thus quick and efficient. Since I was traveling via road on a Sunday, there were no lines at either. The Malaysian immigration office was a bit older and less kept, but still ran rather smoothly. Though when I got to the immigration officer, he did ask me how much money I had in my bank account ... Uh what? It always makes me nervous in developing or 3rd world countries when they ask things like this because I'm wondering, are they going to ask me for some? Anyhow, he did not, but did tell me I have too much and should spend it in Malaysia, which I could appreciate. The rest stop was a keen idea considering I needed to drop that deuce, but when we got there I noticed they were all squatty potties with a hose. So I took a "number 1" and decided to hold it until Ryan and Amy picked me up. The whole bus ride was just at 5 hours and I would recommend it to anyone. Cheaper than flying and near the same amount of time considering customs, immigration, arriving 2 hours early for a 1 hour international flight, etc.

So I left on the Aeroline bus from a large mall and I dropped of at one outside KL, One Utama. Ryan and Amy pick me up with little Jackson shortly after 8 and inform me we are not going to their home. We have been invited to their friends home in a neighborhood 5 minutes from theirs. Now remember, I've been holding this load since lunch, but of course I agree, I am their guests. 

We arrive at this gated four-plex in nice neighborhood and are greeted by their friends. It also turns out they have 2 additional couples over as well as kids and a grandmother. She is actually the matriarch of the family as well as the cook and man could she cook. There was rice cubes and veggies and pulled chicken soup as well as hot tea and orange soda. 

We left around 11:45 pm and made it to their home by midnight. Jackson was zonked as were the rest of us. I ws zonked and cramping, and when they showed me my guestroom with toilet, a tear cam to my eye. Now I had not told them that I had need of a restroom this entire time & the conversation was so good, that they came in and hung out on my bed. I was conflicted, on the one hand my bowels were beginning to rebel so I needed to release some pressure, but on the other hand, I knew the great conversation would end for the night if I made my departure for the bathroom. So after about another 30 minutes, they were visably tired, so I told them it was time for bed & they concurred. I made a B-Line for the toilet, things went well, and after a bit of sweating, I cleaned up for the night. Brushed my teeth, washed my face, and hit the hay.

Nite nite from the iPhone blogger      

No comments:

Post a Comment