Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 30: Singapore Zoo and Asian Girl Karaoke?


So Steve (London), Chris (Philippines), and I wake up and head off to the Singapore Zoo. We grab grub first thing and then stop by the Bucks to grab me a drink to take on the MRT (Subway). So with my full drink, we start for the escalators down and Chris stops me, points to a sign ... Apparently you can't take any food or drinks down there, if caught, it's a $500 fine. Are you kidding me? But I bought it for the long ride. These stinking Singaporeans and their darn cleanliness rules ... Guess it's why I've never seen any trash, spills, or food down there. In fact, now that I think of it, I don't think I've seen a homeless person anywhere either, which the tube would seem like a sensible place for them. Was wondering what was in my meat for lunch ...

So, a transfer, a bus, and an hour later, we end up at The Singapore Zoo - woo hoo!



We wandered everywhere, paying no attention to the map. After about 2 hours, we realize we have not taken the boat ride or seen giraffes or Rhinos or butterflies or swinging chimpanzees ... Uh, what had we seen? So opposed to our nature as men, we took out the map and set a plan. First stop, the boat dock. However, on our way to the boats, we stumble upon this random orchid garden. It was actually kind of magical, as if I had stepped out of the zoo and into a fantasy world of sorts. 



After the orchid garden, we found the boat, hit up multiple other attractions like white tigers, rhino's, kangaroos, snakes, cool wood arches, baboons, turtles, penguins, leopards, etc. At every stop, Steve was sure to pull out Sheila and Roo for their photo ops. You see Steve is on his way to Australia, but unfortunately after setting up his trip, he met his girlfriend. She knew this was a trip he needed to take, but it's a bit heartbreaking for both. So she gave him this stuffed Kangaroo, Sheila, with kid in pouch, Roo. And everywhere he goes, he takes pictures with it to upload for his girlfriend to follow (insert sigh from the lady followers of my blog here). He's taken ladies. 

We leave as the sun is setting and they are chasing people out some 3 hours and miles and miles of walking  later. We take an express bus to Orchard Road so we could grab some grub at Orchard Ion Food Court. It is just what the doctor ordered. Suppling us with a second wind, we decide to explore this shopping mecca a bit. We start by going up 6 levels of escalators to arrive at ground level, where I had been two nights before. I did not know the intersection originally, but took this chance too look. It's the corner of Patterson and Orchard, a parade of lights on both walls and the jumping water feature.



We head east up Orchard and 10 minutes into the walk, we stumble upon a talent show of sorts, right there on the sidewalk. Not sure if they are selling their "talent search/management" packages or just showcasing their current talent, but Asian + karaoke = brilliant. 



Steve and Chris have not seen the Fountain of Wealth at all, and I have yet to see the large fountain show, so we make a b-line for the Suntec City Mall complex. We arrive, only to find out, they only run the large fountain twice a day, and of course, they are done. Blurgh! But since I do not have a good video of the Fountain, I ain't wasting this opportunity. 



What's next guys? It's off to the Esplanade and Merlion on our way back home. The Cityscape is ridiculous.


About 30 pics later, I am confident that I have a few acceptable ones and since Chris was thirsty, we hit up my favorite ... Coffee Bean! I forget to order decaf, which explains why I am still up at 5am, but that just means I can catch the the Aggie/Baylor game on gamecast before I drift off. Gig'em Aggies! 

Nite nite from the iPhone Blogger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment