Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day 26: Indo's love Obama

I awoke late to a rather uneventful day, so Augus dropped me off at Hardjono's Blue Lotus Coffee so I could read, write, and surf. I would of done more of it save a few enjoyable interruptions. 

First, you must know that the great thing about Blue Lotus is not just the coffee but the company. Hardjono comes out and chats with every customer, and we are not talking about just a cursory hello, I mean full out conversations. So he and I, like clockwork had an engaging conversation about business and motivations and personalities. After an hour, it was time for him to help his staff and speak with others in the restaurant. 

Not 10 minutes later, Devi stopped by my chair. She works at Blue Lotus and helps with the books and management I believe. We also ran into her at the English speaking church service on Sunday. Anyhow, though a native of Indo, she went to school in Australia and speaks English very well. We had met several times in passing, but we had never really spoken, so this was the first conversation and it was a dousy. Just take a wild guess how it began ...yep, Obama. The Indo's love him or the idea of him and assume we do as well, which then always brings about a healthy conversation. We covered everything from Obama's Nobel Peace Prize to healthcare to gun control to abortion to McCain to ... An hour later she needed to run to meet with, who else but, the cable guy. I found out later he was 2 hours late, so it seems like a universal issue, haha.

Shane picked me up with little Judson in the car. Lindsay was teaching English at the community center, so it was a boys night. When I entered the car, Shane said we needed to stop by a certain store to get these special chips that had not been available for a month. I would compare it to finding out that in Texas there was an in-n-out truck coming to Dallas once a month with a limited supply of burgers. His friends saw them, bought a ton, and made the call to Shane to inform him of their discovery. However, not 5 minutes after we departed from the Blue Lotus, Shane has to pull over into a Kitchen warehouse store to relieve himself. His belly had been acting up all day with no signs of a reprieve. 

Knowing he'd be a bit, I unstrapped Judson and brought him up front and on my lap. It's amazing to watch the creativity and curiosity of an almost 1 yr old. He played with the visor, flipping it up and down and pulling it off the hitch. I unrolled the tinted passenger side window half way and he played peekaboo with the tinted part and open part, giggling with glee the entire time. I set him up at the wheel and he drove us around, ecstatically flipping on the windsheild wipers and turn signals. When he found the horn, it was time to move on. About 10 minutes later, Shane returned and we were back on track for these magic chips.

We reach the store, Shane asks the clerk to bring out as many of these chips as she had from the back. She returns with a large cardboard box filled with individual boxes and asks if it was enough ... Almost $30 later he had bought almost their while supply.   He says they stay good for 2 to 3 months, so it was a worthwhile investment. 

We returned, I shaved my face, packed my bags, and prepped for the journey back to Yogya tomorrow via Borobodur and Malioboro Market.

Nite nite fom the iPhone blogger  

No comments:

Post a Comment