Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 80:Hanoi

Rested my eyes, punished my back, never a solid moment of sleep, but we made it.

Camel bus company drops us off on the outskirts of town, far away from the backpacking district, how convenient. Will, Simon and I jump into a metered cab, 10 minutes later it reads 106,000 dong for 12km, how is that possible? We were not going over 60km/hr, especially with the traffic and the red lights. Me thinks something is afoul with that meter, we all mention it, but at this point just want a real bed, pay after making it clear we think we got ripped, head down Nguyen Ngo alley to Hanoi Backpackers Hostel.

It's 6:30am, Hanoi backpackers is bustling with activity. Check in is not until 10, but they have a storage room for our bags, one you must sign in and out your bag, proper operation, and free breakfast in the kitchen, i.e. baguette and jam. We pay for the dorm beds, store our bags, grab some grub, start looking at fliers for the trips to Sapa and Halong Bay. It's 8 now, I leave in search of wifi and a coffee shop, this is Hanoi, should be easy to find. Make a big loop, trying not to get lost, stumble upon Frank's Barista Coffee shop, inspect menu, check, wifi that allows for facebook, check, atmosphere that's comfortable, check, plugs for my iPhone, check ... I'm home. 2 hours later, Simon and Will drop in, check in is open, let's go.

We are on the second level of a building called Other Side. You see Hanoi Backpackers is a big operation with 130 beds, 3 buildings, and a tour company. Impressive. I order a bottom bunk, they have it available, settle in for a nap. Not 10 minutes later, Gordon walks in, a guy who I will talk to for 45 minutes total, but will forever effect my view of Vietnam. He's a British bloke, been traveling this time around for 6 months or 9 months, can't recall. Cordially introduce ourselves as is the custom of any hostel, he inquires about our future travels. Think we're going to Halong Bay tomorrow, might hit Sapa, have you been? And the. The tale begins about his 6 day Minsk trip around NW Vietnam, Mac out, pics accompanying his commentary. From inside a voice cries out, whether it's God or desire, it was undeniable. I look at Will, clearly he's having the same experience, Simon, not so much.

Will and I head to the recommended rental bike operator, thinking we'd get a scooter or a Honda for the trek, they refuse to rent us scooters, "they'll never make it" they inform us. We have two choices, Yamaha or Minsk, the latter at $8/day being $10 cheaper, a savings of $50usd. Will has never ridden a proper motorcycle, my experience was 20 years ago and once. Are you ready to do this? Will replies, "Lets put down the deposit." A swipe of the credit card and our future was paid for. Picking up the bikes at 8:30 tomorrow morning, a quick lesson on how to ride, how to fill it up, and we will be on our way ... It's happening!

Hit up a side street market, need to buy a small backpack for the trek, Northface 20L starts at 300,000 dong, buy for 200,000 ($10usd). Next stop, cash for the trip, Atm at HSBC has a reasonable charge, pull out cash, move on to my final stop before heading back to the hostel, Highlands Coffee. Will heads back, I enjoy the free wifi, familiar fruit smoothies, and comfy couches. Shocked that WV beats Kentucky. Scrappy team, always been. They figure out how to win somehow. Might take it all, next challenger, Duke.

Back at Hanoi BP, consensus from other Minsk riders, no shorts, oil drips all the time, if it rains there's mud, always a chance of laying it down, protect your legs. Only jeans I have are my Sevens, ain't covering them with oil or mud, time to buy new fake jeans. It's dark, most street vendors are closing up shop, I will not be dissuaded. After asking and roaming for 30 minutes, stumble upon a street with several pants stores. First one has no jeans, 2nd has poor selection, 3rd has some fair priced stylistic ones but none in my fat arse size. Why are the Vietnamese so small. Biggest size they have is a 30, have not seen that since high school, blurgh. 4th & 5th, similar issues as to the first, 6th will make me a pair, but not ready until tomorrow evening. Looking hopeless, what to do, turn the corner, wait that's a jeans store. Walk in, see some Blake Levi's, says 34 - 32 on the waist, try them on, they fit, score! 275,00 dong later ($14usd), and I'm set for the ride.

Did I mention I had been wandering around for 30 minutes, down alleys, making lefts and rights, no clue what alley my hostel is on. Uh oh. Spend the next hour finding my way back amidst good and bad directions, kept asking where the lake is, if I can find that, I can find the hostel. Ask one motorbike driver, he points down the street that way, 5 minutes later ask another, sends me back the way I started, another sends me up a perpendicular street, another back the same way on a parallel street. Dagnabnit, will someone just give me the right instruction. Feel like I've entered the twilight zone, everything looks the same but different, could be 100m or 5,000m from the hostel, where am I? At long last, a lady outside her shop, seeing my confusion, shows me a map, where we are, where to go, 15 minutes later, i see the familiar yellow sign beckoning me home. It feels good. I like adventure, but sensible adventure, that was just madness.

Spend a little time blogging, set the alarm, insert the earplugs, apply the mask, and off I go ...

Nite nite via the iPhone Blogger!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

lol @ last sentence.

Post a Comment