Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 78-79: Hue

Hue was mostly a blur, not much to it really. It rained and rained and when it was not raining, it misted and misted. Only two attractions here are the citadel, the walled older city, and a boat ride down a river of tombs. We had intended to do both, but the river trip got ousted when time got squeezed and the conditions did not improve.

The citadel was a walled compound within a walled city, the compound being the royal courts. When we arrive to pay, an older weathered itchy fingered guard asks us our nationality, Will responds English, Simon responds French, I don't respond. He taps me, "Where you from?" I was not not thinking, Los Angeles, yourself? The look on his face turned from blank to grimace. He says something in Vietnamese to the other guard, both staring at me. Ticket lady still sells me a ticket, I wave farewell with a smile, walk in. Maybe I should say Canada. The citadel had some moments of brilliance, like the moats covered in lily pads and bright purple flowers, but overall, there was not enough meet to this 18th century iconic place. Everything I wanted to explore is behind ropes or locked doors, we were limited to gardens, grassy plains, and exteriors. I'm not complaining though, it forced us to walk a good 4 miles there and back, exercise being in short supply lately, and it's did distract from the mist and rain.

Back at the hotel, grabbed a nap, then headed across the alley to eat at a lonely planet recommendation before heading to Brown Eyes, the only decent bar we could find. Happy hour involves buy 1 get one free and cheap buckets, we had a few, played some rounds of pool, jumped on facebook using their computers, and met some people.

The next day we checked out, went and ate, came back, rented our room from 1 until 5 when the bus came for $6usd, and then jumped on a night bus by a company called Camel. Up till this point I had been using a reliable company called Sinh Cafe for night buses, where you get to pick your seats. Not so this time, board, try to sit towards the front, they shush me back. The way I understood the ticket, it bought mr a seat anywhere on the bus, that's obviously incorrect, anywhere in the back of the bus. Almost back row middle on the bottom, that was my seat, face next to the feet of the back row stretched people, seat again too small for a westerner, cramped, aisles fill with locals on mats, such a strange operation. Next time I'm going with Sinh.

Nite nite, here's to hoping I sleep well, iPhone Blogger out!

No comments:

Post a Comment