Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 72: Philosophical Moment and Sleeper Bus!

Awake after a very late night of watching nothing on TV but can't sleep, it's 10am. Checkout is 11 and I still have yet to find a shop with razors for my face. Run out of the guesthouse, asking shop keepers and coffee houses. Finally, like a beacon of light, the little alleyway drug store appears, Gillette razors for a reasonable rate, jump on it. Head back to Ly Ly's Guesthouse, pass the female caretaker on my trek back up the 5 flights, legs burning, sweat beading on my furrowed brow. Slip into the aircon of my room, strip, slide into my wet bathroom and turn the hot water to 38C, 100F. Soak my face below the heat, 1 min, 3 min, 5 minutes, it's ready. Slide the razor from just under my chin down, slowly, try to slice not pull the hairs. One stroke, rinse the razor head, 2nd pass. 5 minutes later neck is clean, irritation has left, continue the rest of my shower activities.

Dry and clothe myself, look at the scattered belongings, begin the slow and arduous process of repacking my bag for the umpteenth time. Finish, it's 11:30am, I'm late. Settle up with the owner, get a poor conversion rate, slightly expected it, and head to my local coffee house, Highlands Coffee.

Simon arrives, it's well past noon. I'm still struggling to communicate, 3 1/2 hours sleep does not suit me well. Feeling philosophical, not sure if it's my physical or mental condition, bear with. These are my thoughts:

"Saw my reflection in my iPhone as I sit, consume sugar, syrup, espresso and blog. Man I've aged. Crows feet around the eyes, deep lines of the forehead, smile craters in the cheeks ... what have I accomplished? What has my life meant? I've run voraciously from the rat race for so long, not sure I could ever return to the safety of it. Dipped my hands in multiple ventures but none have come to fruition ... lack of work ethic, lack of belief, lack of skill set? Am I learning or repeating?

Regardless, I will press on, conquering what ails me from my past, chasing toward what beckons in my future. If God is for me, who can stand against me. I have a high call, I am His child, His creation, His joy - must I continue to fear, yet doubt? I think not. Running toward tomorrow, relishing the moments of today, taking stock of the past, I will succeed, I will press on, I will be me."

And that concludes my vulnerable moment for the day ...

Bus arrives on time, 8pm, first time on a sleeper. Discover a few things:

1. No place to put your carry on luggage save between your legs.

2. Not all seats are the same size, nor are all locations the same.

3. Be prepared to never stretch out your legs or fully straighten your feet while in the leg cubby, the seats were made for small Vietnamese people.

Oh I should probably describe the bus a bit for ya. It's a full size touring bus with double decker seating, but not two conventional floors, more like 3 columns of bunk beds, left middle, right. All the seats recline, but barely past 45 degrees, stopped by the feet cubby of the person behind you. The back row seats are literally side by side 5 across, so if you're back there, be ready to touch your neighbor. Got the image? Ok, go back and reread the three things I just realized.

Alright, calling it a night, nite nite via the in transit iPhone blogger.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know, sounds kinda cozy to me

Post a Comment